As a cigar enthusiast, I know firsthand how easy it is to make mistakes when smoking cigars. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned pro, it’s important to avoid these common pitfalls in order to fully enjoy your cigar experience.
- Choosing the wrong size cigar: It can be tempting to go for the biggest cigar you can find, but it’s important to choose a size that is appropriate for the amount of time you have to smoke it. A larger cigar can take hours to smoke, while a smaller one can be enjoyed in just a few minutes.
- Not using a cigar cutter: A good cigar cutter is essential for getting a clean cut on your cigar. Using a dull cutter or trying to bite off the end can ruin the cigar and impact the flavor. Invest in a quality cutter to ensure a perfect cut every time.
- Not properly lighting the cigar: To light a cigar properly, hold the flame a few inches away from the cigar and gently draw in the smoke. This helps to toast the foot of the cigar and prevent it from going out. Avoid using a lighter with a strong odor, as this can affect the taste of the cigar.
- Puffing too frequently: It’s important to let the cigar burn on its own and not puff too frequently. Puffing too often can cause the cigar to overheat and spoil the flavor. Take your time and savor each puff to fully appreciate the taste and complexity of the cigar.
- Not storing cigars properly: Cigars should be stored in a humidor to maintain the proper humidity level. Storing cigars in a dry environment can cause them to become dry and lose their flavor. Invest in a good humidor and use a hygrometer to monitor the humidity level to ensure that your cigars are always in prime condition.
By avoiding these common mistakes, you can fully enjoy the rich flavor and complexity of your favorite cigars. So the next time you sit down to smoke a cigar, keep these tips in mind and savor every puff.
Written by: Joe Ficchi